Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Runner's 90/10 Rule...

After a lot of research into "dieting" vs eating healthy, the eating lifestyles of athletes, reading several blogs, and other such time killers, I decided the best way to maintain a healthy lifestyle versus dieting would be to maintain a 90/10 rule... That is, healthy eating 90% of the time, and indulge 10% of the time. I suppose that rule is going to by my excuse for last night's dinner........

I decided to make an awesome salad for me and my muscle man. It turned out amazing, and we both were full afterwards. It had:
  • Spinach
  • Carrots
  • Mushrooms
  • Garlic & Herb Feta Cheese (Amazing by the way!)
  • Sliced Almonds (Never had these on a salad, and now I don't think I'll have one without them!)
  • Sliced Avocado
  • Grilled Chicken
It didn't turn out as colorful as I would've liked, but ta daa!! Still packed with healthy stuff. :-)


So, great dinner, right? Score one for Beth, she succeeded at making an awesome salad. Well, then the dessert that was supposed to be a baked apple or a pumpkin smoothie... You know, something equally healthy? Well, instead became this....



Yes, I know, bad Beth... But I'm slowly learning. The salad was a start! Besides, I have to learn to find a healthy affordable medium between organic and regular groceries... I don't know how some people sleep at night buy organic everything, knowing how much they're sinking into it. So far I've been going by the "Dirty Dozen" rule for buying fruits and vegetables, and looking at the ingredients list on things I normally buy and comparing it to the organic version. If the regular version has 542365426 ingredients in it, I'm more prone to buy the organic version as long as it's not too outrageously priced. I bought organic apple butter yesterday after seeing that regular had 30-letter-long ingredients in it, and I also buy organic almond butter and peanut butter.

By the way, random thought... Have you ever tried to buy saffron?? OMGSWEETMOTHEROFJOSEPH it was $15 for a sprig of saffron. Say what?!? I think I'll find an alternative spice thank you...

Oh, and another random thought... If you ever shop at Kroger (or heck, maybe other grocery stores have it, I don't know...), I would suggest checking out this cheese...


It's pretty much amazing. Just take my word for it.


So, does anyone else have a suggestion on finding a healthy and affordable medium between organic and regular foods?

That is all for today... Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment