Crockpot Chicken With Mushroom Gravy and Quinoa
I used Williams-Sonoma All-Natural Vegetarian Mushroom Gravy Base, but that's not necessary. Use another kind of mushroom gravy base or just a gravy base that you add mushrooms to, whatever floats your boat. We got this for Christmas, and I just happen to have fallen in love with it thanks to this dish.
Besides the mushroom gravy base:
* chicken stock, vegetable stock, or even just water
* 1/2 cup raw, diced onions (I used sweet onions)
* 2 raw chicken breasts (or more if you are feeding
* Spices: I used rosemary, thyme, cayenne pepper, parsley, and basil
* Get out your crockpot!
- Put the gravy in the crockpot and add the stock of your choice. I just filled this jar up with 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken stock, but again that's your choice. It's going to taste great regardless. :-)
- Add in the onions and spices of your choice. Just a DASH of cayenne pepper, as it does not take much to spice this up. The others I used VERY liberally because it cooks down nicely together and makes for an amazing flavor. Stir this all together until it's a nice mixture.
- Put in the chicken breasts. Make sure they're covered. If they aren't completely submerged, add more liquid.
- Set the crockpot on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8. I personally came home at lunch and put it on high for 4 and it turned out great.
This was the result. I was so excited I made my own recipe! And it turned out amazing at that. :-)
Seriously, try it out. It's healthy, it's quick (to make that is), it's simple, and it tastes amazing. Bold flavors, very filling, and chicken does NOT get anymore tender than that. :-)
Moving right along...
One quick memo... At my age, I believe I am on the borderline of a MASSIVE generation gap. I was raised on simple yet effective mathematics (You know, 21-10= 11, that kind of stuff), I went outside to play, I knew what it meant to "adjust the antenna so we can watch the football game"... You get the picture... Well, I bought something today, and the conversation went like this:
*Total was $6.31, and I hand the guy $21.31*
Guy: "You handed me a dollar too much..."
Me: "Yeah, I don't want to deal with ones."
Guy: *Stares at me with a blank, confused look for a full 5 seconds*
Me: "Uh... My change?? It's 15 dollars...."
Guy: *Stares with a look that was either calculating or he didn't believe me*
Finally after, as I counted, 5 seconds, he hands me my change.
Wow. That's all I can say. Wow.
And now for your Friday Fun!!
I got this little gem from this wonderful woman, and it's hilarious! Put together by part of the Fitfluential team, and it's so true, yet great for a laugh. Enjoy!
Have a great weekend!!